Here is the finished product of our hard work!
Sunday, November 17, 2013
We have more than four tansfers of energy, but there are only four that I am going to name. One of the four tansfers of energy is the transfer that starts it all. This occurs when the master ball pendulum hits the pokeball which makes it fall down the ramps. This is a transfer of energy because the force that the pendulum has is then transfered into the pokeball to make it fall down the ramps. Another transfer of energy ocurrs when the Lego boat`s end hits the plastic dominoes. Again this is a transfer of energy because the energy that the boat had from moving was tranferred into the dominoes, and caused them to move off of the ends of the tray. The most obvious transfer of energy is that in the dominoes, each dominoe transfers energy to the next causing it to fall. One other chain reaction that occurs in our project is the final step. The final step is when the wedge hits the DS, attacking the Pokemon. This energy from the wedge is transferred into the DS`s pressure screen, which depresses the prssure sensor in the screen attacking the Pokemon.
These are the forces that are used and in act during the functioning of the Rube Goldberg Machine
- Gravity- the force that pulls the ball and marble down the inclined plane. Without gravity the correct function of our inclined plane would not work.
- Centripetal Force- the force that comes into play when the marble goes through the circular shoots. This is the force that pushes the marble to the outside before falling into the hole in the middle of the circular shoot.
- Bouyancy- the force that is displayed when the Lego boat floats across the tray of water. Without bouyancy the boat would simply sink, opposed to being able to float across the water.
- Torque- the force that acts when the pulley rotates.
- Air Resitance- this force is both minimized and maximized in our project. It is maximized by putting a tape sail on the ack of the Lego boat. This maximizes air resistance because we have know incresed the surface area that is exposed to the air from the fan, which allows the boat to move faster than it would without the sail. Air resistance is minimized by using the wedge to hit the DS. This minimizes air resistance beacause it allows the air molecules to flow over the wedges surface with ease.